Monday, February 28, 2011

Calendar Girls February Challenge

Hi Friends....Today is the day for our February Challenge! Our hostess Kelly was very creative!

Here were our instructions:

Hear ye, hear ye! By royal proclamation …… I Welcome you all to Ms. February’s Ball!
Each of you beautiful belles – our lovely Calendar Girls - are cordially invited to the Calendar Girls Ball! It’s a month of love, admiration, and red hearts, my lovelies!
What will you wear to this ball? More like what will your CARD wear?! This month – fabulous Calendar Girls,- show us your STYLE! Your card should reflect a representation of what your dream dress would be and the moment each of you beauties walks into the ballroom, we’ll be dazzled by what you (your card!) has on!

1. Challenge 1 -- What’s your style?! will your card be sleek, sexy and black?
Will it be a pink and frilly with flowers? Lavendar and lace?
Will it have Bows? Buttons all down the back? {etc!} You may use any stamped image you like - it should not be a dress stamp, lol – your card should speak for itself with it’s colors and style! Make sure your card has the representation!

2. Challenge 2 -- Show us your true colors at this ball! Add your favorite color somewhere to your card, even if it’s the smallest of a brad or a little flower – it might not match your “dress personality” but that’s the whole challenge! In the words of Tim Gunn, “Make it work!”

3. Challenge 3 -- Shape up for this ball!! Well, this will be one of your EASIEST shape ups evah! Tee hee! on the same card, you must use a SHAPE somewhere on your card! Make your regular card but add a Big-shotted, Cuttlebugged, hand cut out shape to your card. (Ms Feb. will find samples and post to the thread!) Add your image to a nestie, to a hand cut heart, to a circular pattern – etc! Shape up, show your true color and your style!!

I really needed to think outside the box here...so this is what I came up with.




When putting this card together, I needed to look at the different elements of the challenge and systematically answer them...so I knew the card would be a black base, no frills, but simple, satiny and elegant. The patteren paper has a shiney finish to some of the filigree design to represent the satiny element.  Embellishments would be ribbon and pearls, with my favorite color being pinks and mauves. What stumped me was the image, so when looking through my digital collection,  I saw this one from Doodle Pantry and thought wouldn't be it cool if I could make this look like the Enchanted Rose from Beauty and the Beast...because after all we are going to a Ball. I colored two Rose images, cut one out and layered it using pop dots.

Cardstock: Black (Archivers), pink and mauve from scrap box
Image: Doodle Pantry digital
Patterned Paper: Imaginisce
Embellishments: Pearls by Recollections, Ribbon by American Crafts
Other: Colored Pencils, Gamsol, Jelly Roll Stardust pen. Top note die from SU!, corner rounder punch, pop dots.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, I love your take on this card....when you mentioned Beauty and the Beast I was right there....great job on this card. It is a beauty and I love your explanation...wonderful job my friend this card is elegant and classy. ♥ ya...we will have an amazing time dancing the night away...((hugs))..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle....your card is very pretty and shows us your personality! I love the image and the reference to Beauty and the Beast (one of my favorite Disney movies)!!

    Love your fun layout too!! Great job ☺

    Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, this is an absolutely stunning card. I'm not surprised, because you are a stunning woman and this card represents you beautifully. When I saw it - even before I started reading your words - I immediately thought of the rose in the Beauty and the Beast. How fun to see that's what you were thinking, too.

    I love your classy, no frills yet elegant look!!!

    I hope you dance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle--this card is just beautiful and I think it does represent you perfectly! Love the rose image and the colors are stunning! Great creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MIchelle, this is pure loveliness!! I LOVE You in your stylish dress and you are a true BELLE (with no Beast!) at the Ball! I love the style and paper choice and your satiny rose is perfect! This is elegance in the finest form! thank you for taking the challenge head on and creating one gorgeous "gown" - you look AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning and I love your thinking!! I adore those colors and textures, myself! I am so glad that I get to better know you through these great challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful card Michelle. I love the thoughts behind each element of the card. And I am going to have to case the layout - it's wonderful. You look elegant at the Ball! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh wowww Michelle....your card spells *CLASSIC BEAUTY* all the way home...It is truly lovely!!!
    From the delishhhh d/p to the color combo chosen and the lovely glittery roses...you have outdone yourself for the royal ball!!* Love it!!*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty card! I like how you chose the rose for the image and the little sparkle you added to it. The colors go so well together. The Nestie'd shape and the DP of black and white are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the pearls. Love the whole elegant look of it all. You have such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A ROYAL BEAUTY! Michelle, you would definitely be the Belle at the ball, but no beasts would be in sight! The rose image is just gorgeous, and the color & pattern combination is very regal and elegant! A super stylish delight! Love it! {HUG}

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! Such a gorgeous image and I love how the color just pops against the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card!!! This is really fantastic card.
    I just love this background papers and the design. Those roses are looking beautiful and nice. The way you colored this image is really nice.
    Thanks for this great post.Magento Themes

    ReplyDelete